Silverback Open Championships 2014
The Silverback Open Championships ’14 took place on October 11th and 12th 2014 at the YSC Sports complex outside of Philadelphia as part of the 2014 Pro Breaking Tour’s Champions Series. The event was organized by organized by Silverback Bboy Events and paid $58,400 in cash prize money, a $10,000 Breitling watch, plus trips for several winners to the Freestyle Session World Final’s in San Diego. A panel of seven judged the Open 1-on-1, the Open 3-on-3 and the B-girl 1-v-1.
Like all competitions, there can only be one first place winner and the Silverback Open Championships had it’s well deserving victors in every category. In the 1-on-1 battle, Thesis (KHCA/Massive Monkees/Fresh Descendants) took first place over Niek (Rugged Solutions), in the 3-on-3 it was The Squadron (Nasty Ray, Moy & Prada-G) who took first over Lionz of Zion (Napalm, Domkey & Toyz), and for the Bgirls it was ABgirl (Domestic Apes) over Macca (360 Flava) in the final.
Prize Money Breakdown
· Open 1-v-1 Prize Distribution: $25,000 Cash + $10,000 Breitling Luxury Watch + Freestyle Session World Final Round Trip Flight
o $10,000 for first place + a $10,000 Breitling luxury watch + Round trip flight to Freestyle Session Word Finals (November 8th & 9th; San Diego, CA); $5,000 for second place; $1,600 for each semifinal loser (3rd-4th); $500 for each quarterfinal loser (5th-8th); $300 for each Round of 16 loser (9th-16th); $150 for each Round of 32 loser (17th-32nd).
· B-Girl 1-v-1 Battle Prize Distribution: $5,000 Cash for the top 8 B-Girl qualifiers (selected from the Open 1-v-1 prelims)
o $2,500 for first place; $1,000 for second place; $500 for each semifinal loser; $125 for each quarterfinal loser.
· Open 3-v-3 Crew Prize Distribution: $17,400 Cash + 3 Freestyle Session World Final Round Trip Flights
o $4,500 for first place + 3 Round trip flight to Freestyle Session Word Finals (November 8th & 9th; San Diego, CA); $2,400 for second place; $1,650 for each semifinal loser (3rd-4th); $600 for each quarterfinal loser (5th-8th); $300 for each Round of 16 loser (9th-16th); $150 for each Round of 32 loser (17th-32nd).
· Ultimate Circle Prize Distribution: $11,000 in cash was up for grabs in the Ultimate Circle.
o To close the event, The Silverback Open hosted the Pro Am Ultimate Circle, established in the mid-late 90’s by none other than the legendary Speedy Legs, featuring ~80 of the top competitors from the weekend. The Judges for the Ultimate Circle were: Ghost, Leanski, Bebe, Viazeen, Float, Wicked, Ivan, Speedy Legs, Blizz & Ken Swift. The top 11 participants were each awarded $1,000. The winners included Menno, Marlon, Issei, Tata, Kid Glyde, Bebo, Mijo, Master Mace, Wealthy, Jose C., and Hannibal. Judges included Ghost, Leanski, Bebe, Viazeen and Float, each choosing two winners.
· Judges for the Open 1-on-1, Open 3-on-3 and B-girl 1-v-1 Battles:
1. Wicket: Renegade Rockers
2. Reveal: Rhythm Bugz/Rock Force Crew/ Killafornia
3. Easy Roc
4. Wicked: Phaze II
5. Tuff Kid: Basel City Attack
6. Ken Swift: 7 Gemz
7. Abstrak: Skill Methodz
The DJs for the weekend were BlesOne, Fleg (Lionz of Zion) and Foxx Boogie (Repstyles). They came through hard for the Top 16 battles, playing all original music, setting the stage on fire with never before heard tracks. Because of this original soundtrack, the competition was able to stream live via YouTube to those around the world who could not be in attendance. This was another courtesy of the Silverback Open event, which was free for all competitors to enter, free to the public to attend, and included giveaways for all competitors, including shirts and head spin hats.
The competition from the beginning was set to be a memorable one for all. There were 108 crews signed up for the 3-on-3 battles, 312 competitors for the 1-on-1 battles and 27 bgirls who entered the 1-on-1 for a shot at the top 8 bgirl battle. All of the brackets were ‘show and prove,’ meaning that regardless of whether one was a top level international competitor or a local dancer, every competitor had to put it all on the floor and show the judges they had what it takes to be picked for a Top 32 slot in the open 1-on-1 and 3-on-3, or a shot at the top 8 bgirl battle.
Monster Energy was in the house with the Monster Girls and a free slow-motion booth for everyone to enjoy, along with free giveaways of Monster Energy beverages. Alongside them were vendors from all over the US, providing gear from within the bboy scene.
The competition on day two was fierce! It has been a long time since competitors from all over the world have faced off in such a high stakes battle on United States soil. It was epic to say the least. One thing is for certain, this battle opened the eyes of a lot of young US dancers to see the level that they must attain to keep up with the world. 2015 will be a year that sees the USA scene in the lab getting ready for their next chance to show the world what they can do.
If you want to relive a little of the action, check out the great media below from photographers and videographers that attended the event. The brackets and prize distribution will also be released soon on this page so keep an eye out and check back.
- Prelim Day Photos by Little Shao
- Finals Day Photos by Little Shao
- Both Days Photos by Kien Quan
- Both Days Photos by Vincanity
- Top Bboy Moves at the Silverback Open
- Silverback Open ’14 Recap by Mason Rose
- Silverback Open Live Stream | Early Rounds
- Silverback Open Live Stream | Final Rounds
- Prelim Day Video by Mason Rose
- Niek, Menno & Moy | Warm-up on the Streets
- Silverback Open ’14 Recap by TeCK
- Silverback Open ’14 Recap by .stance
- Silverback Open ’14 Recap by YAK FILMS
- Playlist for Battles | Stance Video
- Playlist for Battles | Nilson Bboy Flow
- Playlist for Battles | Silverback Cam
- Playlist for Battles | Bboy Network
- Playlist for Battles | Strife
- Playlist for Battles | Code Media